Pages

Monday, November 9, 2009

Dinner Time!

I see that on peoples blogs that they share their recipes, which I love.  I make them and hubby loves that I change the menu up from the usual chicken and vegetable night.  I made this pork loin and couldn't help but to share it!  It tasted soooo good and was perfect for a good Sunday night supper!


Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
5 tbs. evoo
2-3 garlic cloves
3 1/2 ounces shitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
2 shallots or 1/4 yellow onion
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
6 ounces Baby Spinach (5 lightly packed cups)
1 large pork tenderloin (1 1/4 lbs.)
1 tbs lightly chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup fresh Parmigiano Reggiano
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 1/2 tbs sherry or red wine vinegar
2 tbs heavy cream (I omitted this part, I didn't have the cream, but bet it would make it that much better.  Who doesn't like extra heavy cream?)

 This is actually one package and when I opened it up, two came out?  Weird, so I just stuffed both of them.


In a pan, heat 2 tbs evoo, 2-3 cloves garlic and get it hot.  Add mushrooms and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until brown and tender.  Then add spinach and cook until wilted.  Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

Butterfly the tenderloin open and leave the seam, like a book.  Then cover the meat with plastic and lightly pound the pork with a meat mallet until 1/4" thick.  I don't have a meat mallet so I used the bottom of a small frying pan.  Works just as good.  Beat it from the middle to the out, seemed to work better.  Once you're done, rub with 2 tbs. evoo, some thyme and a little salt and pepper.  I also used some seasoning salt.  I just like the flavor, but do what you wish.

Now time to get your hands nice and dirty!  Spread the mushroom-spinach mixture on the inside of your "book" loin.  Sprinkle the cheese.  Leave a little room to one side like you would if you were wrapping a burrito.  You want to keep the goods inside of the loin, not roll them out.    Roll the meat and secure it with twine or toothpicks.  I love this look, made me feel like I wasn't cooking in my own kitchen but at a 5-star restaurant!
I let mine stay like this because I prepared it then hubby decided to go hunt and wanted to wait to eat.  But that made it all the better, marinating and soaking up all the flavors!!! MMMMMM!!!!!!
When you are ready to cook, get your same pan hot with 2 tbs. oil and a small slice of butter.  Get it HOT!  You're now going to sear all the sides of the pork.  This is what keeps in the yummy juices while it roasts.  Put the pork on each side for about a minute or two.  Until it looks like this.  Then put the seam side down and put it in an oven at 425.  I cooked it for only ten minutes, but I like it not well done.  If you know me, you can attest to that.  But you want the internal temp to reach about 140 degrees.

Put the pork on a plate and put a tent foil over it and let it rest for about ten minutes.  In the meantime, make a good sauce with the extra juices.  You don't have to add all of this or add what you like, it tasted pretty good as is.  Heat your skillet back up and add 1/4 chopped onion or 2 shallots, thinly sliced.  Let them cook through, then add some chicken broth, some red wine or sherry vinegar and the rest of the thyme.  Let simmer while the meat is "resting."

Cut the meat and pour the "au-jus" (just kidding) sauce over top and serve with your sides.  I paired it with roasted garlic mashed potatoes, mmmmmm!!!!




It is so juicy and tender!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment